Quotes & Reviews
Effortless Music Products
Buy Music CD’s
Buy Effortless Music Products
Join Mailing List
What is YAPI?
YAPI stands for Young Artist Performance Incubator and it is an open mic for age 19 and under. YAPI welcomes performers of all kinds and skill levels as well as youth volunteers to emcee YAPI, write YAPI News and Notes, photograph YAPI performers, and help run sound equipment at YAPI.
YAPI is sponsored by the non-profit organization, Youth Taking Charge
( www.youthtakingcharge.us). See
below for YAPI
Performers and YAPI
YAPI seeks to:
- Encourage and inspire young performers
- Provide a safe, non-competitive, supportive environment where young performers, 19 and under, can come together and perform for each other, their families and the public
- Motivate young performers to practice and to prepare an act which, in turn, encourages positive use of their leisure time
- Encourage young performers to work on their stage presence by making eye contact with the audience, introducing their numbers and acknowledging applause with a bow, head nod or thank you
- Provide an opportunity for young performers to experience working with a sound system; set up, tear down, working a microphone, getting used to performing with amplification in general
- Create a community event, independent of the school system or church, where young people can perform appropriate material of their choice and hang out with their peers in a supervised setting
- Increase the self-esteem of young people in the community
- Provide an opportunity for young people to become good listeners and respect each others’ differences
- Encourage young performers to write and to perform original material, however, original material is not required
- Provide an opportunity for young performers to meet and possibly pair up to form other acts or ensembles
- To provide opportunities for youth to get experience in the following areas: photography, publicity, sound engineering, being an MC for a show, writing YAPI News and Notes, and exercising leadership skills in organizing the performers
When is YAPI?
The YAPI season is August – May and takes place the first Thursday of the month.
Where is YAPI?
- • YAPI takes place at Maui Wowi Hawaiian Coffees and Smoothies (847-6215) located on RR12 in Wimberley, TX in the front of the Brookshire Brothers grocery store parking lot. It is a place where the whole family can come and be comfortable, and the coffees and smoothies are excellent. Some pastries are offered as well.
- YAPI is FREE of charge for audience and participants
Who can perform at YAPI?
- YAPI is open to the public but performers must be age 19 and under.
- All sorts of performers are welcome; singers, instrumentalists, poets, dancers, comedians, etc. Group performances are encouraged.
- YAPI welcomes all levels of performance skill.
- Adults may accompany a YAPI performer or a YAPI performer may accompany an adult but the focus of YAPI is on the YOUTH.
- A sound system including a PA, a speaker, two microphones and stands.
- A full-sized weighted key electric keyboard.
- A stool.
- A music stand.
- Young people playing other instruments are expected to bring their own instrument, cord(s), effects pedals and tuner. Instruments should be tuned before coming on stage.
- If someone wishes to sing to a CD, they are expected to bring the player and cords as if it were the instrument they are playing to accompany themselves.
- Any other questions about equipment needs should be directed to Brenda Freed at (512)426-0301.
- Young people show up and sign their name and age on the appropriate sign up sheet (Age 12 and Under Sheet or Age 13-19 Sheet). The sheets are numbered 1-12. Participants will perform in the order they are listed on the sheet so if someone signs in on line 3 and no one signs in on slot 1 or 2, # 3 will go first. If there are more than 12 performers, we will start another sheet.
- Each performer is introduced by name and age.
- Audience members and performers are all encouraged to listen and applaud after each number.
Brenda Freed / BFreed Records
P.O. Box 1856
Blanco, TX 78606
Office Phone: 830-644-2351
Mobile Phone: 512-426-0301
Visit YAPI on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/YAPItexas
Performers (January 2004 - December 2008)